February is National Heart Health Month, so let’s be sure we have a Healthy and Happy Heart. According to the CDC, Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women. Approximately 715,000 Americans experience a heart attack a year and about 600,000 people die from heart disease in the United States each year. To me this let’s me know we all need to do more to make sure we have a healthy heart. We can do this by easting a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and by exercising regularly.
With Valentine’s Day being just around the corner it made me of chocolate. Boxes of Chocolate are often given on Valentine’s day and seem to definitely make ones heart happy. But did you know that chocolate specifically dark chocolate has some heart health benefits. Studies show that eating a small amount of dark chocolate two to three times a week can help lower blood pressure. It also improves blood flow and may help prevent the formation of blood clots.
With knowing all this, I thought it’d be a perfect time to share with you some deliciousness that you can make for your sweetie to help make sure their heart is happy and healthy.
- Butter and flour for pan
- 7 ounces dark chocolate baking squares, chopped
- ½ cup butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Optional Garnish: Powdered sugar, fresh raspberries
- Butter and flour a 9-inch spring-form pan. Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler or metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat, and cool 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 egg yolks, sugar and flour. Stir in chocolate mixture.
- In a metal bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture; DO NOT over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake 45 minutes (toothpick will NOT come out clean).
- Cool 10 minutes before removing walls of pan. Cool completely.
- Garnish with powdered sugar & berries if desired.
- Note: You can also use a 9-inch round cake pan. Do not attempt to remove the cake from the pan; slice and serve from pan.
eMeals Chocolate Torte, this chocolatey dessert is part of eMeals Simple Gourmet Valentine Dinner. If you are an eMeals member, these meal plans are FREE and waiting for you on your members page. If not, sign up now to get this full V-day menu, Paleo V-day menu, and a desserts menu their treat.
Disclosure: I am part of eMeals Blogger Network and this post includes affiliate links, however all words and opinions expressed are my own.